Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Those were the days.....

Singapore has evolved and change so much for the past 20-25 years that it's amazing just looking back what has became different. I still remembered when I was probably 5 or 6 years old, it is possible to see Changi Airport control tower from my parents' place. However, within a matter of 5 years or so, it became not possible as the view was soon blocked by blocks and blocks of HDB flats that the government start building.

Cost of living then was much lower. We were able to buy 3 sweets for 10cents and a bowl if noodles cost $1.50? And it came with decent amount of ingredients! We do not have air conditioned buses then and MRT were not available too. Kids played with five stones, zero point, hide and seek, unlike kids nowadays who has Xbox, PS and Wii. Life was simply much simple and we appreciate the small little things we had.

In terms of people, there were definitely much lesser and not so crowded. If we were to walk on the street of Singapore, we can see many people of different nationality: Malaysian, Indonesian, Filipino etc etc. In fact, at 1 of the dinners I had with my colleagues last month, out of 6 of us present, I was the only Singaporean! Wow!!! I wonder where had all the Singaporeans gone to....

A part of me is still stuck in time.... At a time where life is much simpler... Is this a sign of ageing? Because older people always start their comments with 'During our times......' LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...