Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Giving up your pet due to allergy

For friends who know me, they will know that I love cats and my 3 cats at home are my babies. But they might or might not know that I do have allergy towards cats as well. I wasn't aware that I was suffering from allergy to their fur (specifically their saliva on their fur due to their grooming) until I started to suffer from sniffing nose every morning. I was popping Clarinase for about 2 weeks and was wondering why my running nose did not go away. Interestingly, it only happened in the morning and after 2-3 hours after I am awake, the sniffing went off. Only after consulting a doctor did I realise that I have sensitive nose and that's how I knew I had allergy to cats.

Even then, it has never crossed my mind to give my kitties up. In fact, I rather change my lifestyle so that they can still stay with me and I will not suffer from the discomfort of the allergy. Thank God that my allergy was not serious (I have heard of cases whereby the owner suffer from asthma etc......) thus I could make certain adjustments so that I can still keep them with me.

For starters, I have to vacuum the floor at least every alternate days, so that their loose furs will not be flying around to irritate my nose. I also started grooming them more often with Furminator as I notice as long as I groom them more often, lesser loose furs will be flying around. I also tried to keep them out of my bedroom but it's not very unsuccessful. I will always give in to Eden's constant meowing outside my room especially when she knows that I am in the bedroom. But thankfully, the vacuuming and grooming helps.....

I hope for all these animals who only yearn for our love and shelter that owners will seek alternate ways to improve their condition of their allergy first before giving up their pets as the only solutions. The pets did nothing wrong to deserve this so do give them a chance.......

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...